Thank you for your interest in Snowy Wings Publishing! We are currently closed to unsolicited submissions, but we will be open for submissions April 1-15, 2019. To help you prepare for the submissions window, here’s what we’re looking for this time:
Snowy Wings Publishing is currently seeking
- middle grade novels of 35,000-80,000 words in length;
- young adult novels of 50,000-110,000 words in length.
We welcome books of any genre, from speculative fiction to contemporary romance, providing that they adhere to our content guidelines (see below). Serialized novellas or novella series (20,000-49,000 words in length) may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Shorter works, including stand-alone novellas, will not be considered. We are not looking for books of poetry or novels written in verse at this time.
We welcome and encourage diverse voices and are particularly interested in #OwnVoices stories.
Previously published books will be considered, though we do prefer that you are also launching new titles with us as well! Incomplete series would be good candidates for re-publication. If you were previously published through a publishing house (as opposed to self-published), make sure you have the full rights to your book and series before querying!
- Snowy Wings Publishing does not accept works that condone or promote hate speech, racism, homophobia, or other forms of bigotry. We will accept books that deal with these issues as long as they are not portrayed in a positive light.
- We do not accept works that contain explicit sexual content.
- We do not accept works that contain sexual violence.
- We do not accept works that contain incest, including:
- romantic and/or sexual relationships between adopted siblings;
- romantic and/or sexual relationships between adopted parents/children;
- romantic and/or sexual relationships between stepsiblings;
- romantic and/or sexual relationships between stepparents/children;
- EVEN IF THE CHARACTERS ARE ADULTS.
- We do not accept works that contain or condone bestiality or animal abuse.
- We do not accept works that contain or condone pedophilia, including:
- Open-door depictions of underage sex;
- Romantic relationships between young teenagers and much older adults. While relationships between sixteen-year-olds and eighteen or nineteen-year-olds are not uncommon and generally should be fine, any bigger of an age gap is not appropriate for us. Additionally, if there is a strong element of dominance or manipulation between the older teen and the younger teen in the relationship, the story will likely not be appropriate for SWP.
Why Snowy Wings?
- Keep your rights and 100% of your royalties and maintain creative control of your book
- Become part of a family of knowledgeable authors who are committed to helping each other succeed through every step of the indie publishing process
- Access parts of the market more difficult to reach when self-publishing on your own, such as schools and libraries via our distribution deal with Brodart Books (learn more about our distribution and wholesale options here)
- Read why our authors love Snowy Wings here!
Before You Query…
Not sure what a co-op publisher is? Please read through our informational post about indie publishing and how co-op publishing works, to make sure this model is right for you! You can also learn more about us and our model here, and check out our Querying Author FAQ here. Just remember: Snowy Wings Publishing is self-publishing with a group.
Please note that Snowy Wings Publishing is a member of the IBPA and that we adhere to the IBPA’s guidelines for hybrid publishers. One of our membership requirements is that the book must be edited by an approved professional editor and have a professional cover design commissioned. Please ensure that your publishing goals as an indie author include the necessary budget to adhere to these standards.
How to Submit
If you think Snowy Wings Publishing might be a good fit for your next project, we’d love to hear from you! Our submissions window will be open from April 1-15, 2019. To help you better prepare, we’ll be looking for the following information:
- A short letter of introduction: Are you a traditionally-published author looking to branch into indie? A seasoned indie veteran looking to join a team? Or a new author looking to self-publish your debut novel? Let us know who you are and why you think SWP might be a good home for your book!
- A query letter and full synopsis for your project: Tell us about the book you’re hoping to publish, including a full synopsis. Please note that a synopsis is different than the sort of blurb you would find on the back of a book or on a retail listing. We want full details for the entire book, from beginning to end. For advice on how to write the kind of synopsis we’re looking for, please check out Awnna Marie Evans’ tips for querying.
- The first 3-5 chapters of your project: Roughly 15,000 words/25 single-spaced pages or so. Please make sure it’s polished to the best of your ability. Additionally, please ensure that the file you upload includes your name/pen name and the title of your book in the file name and on the first page of the document or in the document’s header or footer!
We look forward to hearing from you April 1!