Welcome to our events calendar! Here you can find all of our authors’ upcoming in-person and online events. Use the tabs next to the search bar to view in list or calendar format.
Online Class: World Building for Novelists with Intisar Khanani
July 12 @ 7:00 pm - July 14 @ 8:15 pm$59
Intisar Khanani, author of A Darkness at the Door, will be co-teaching an online mini-course on worldbuilding with fellow author Alisa Alering, sponsored by the Highlights Foundation. Full details and registration info can be found here. A brief description of the workshop can be found below.
World building in your novel includes crucial aspects of developing a physical environment, AND the social systems that your characters inhabit. When physical and social systems interact, truly immersive fictional worlds come to life.
Join us to learn more about:
- Creating a vivid physical setting for your story
- How setting interacts with character and informs plot
- Developing diverse, intersectional communities
- Representing social mores, customs, and manners
- The two questions you MUST ask about every world-building choice
- and more!
IT’S A GREAT FIT FOR:
- Middle grade or young adult novelists who are interested in making their fictional and fantastical worlds as multi-dimensional as possible.
- Writers of fantasy or speculative fiction. World building is vital in all forms of fiction, and requires special considerations in fantasy and speculative fiction.
- If you’re looking for something short, sweet, and smart! This is not a full workshop; it is two 75-minute sessions with limited engagement meant to open up world building as more than a setting on a page.